Did you know the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) offers small businesses free, workplace safety consultations?
- During the OSHA 2010 fiscal year they provided consultations to 26,000 small and medium-sized businesses employing 1.5 million workers.
- OSHA’s workplace safety consultations are separate from inspections and do not result in citations or penalties.
- Establishing and following workplace safety standards at your business can significantly reduce risk of injuries, prevent losses from production down-time and potentially save you money.
Many business owners have very full schedules and tight budgets. By taking advantage of this free service, businesses are able to conduct a thorough review of safety practices and hazards, without having to hire additional staff. Identification of workplace hazards, compliance advice, plus assistance in creating safety and health practices at work can lead to higher productivity and better morale among your workers.
So how can your business take advantage of this service? Start by visiting OSHA’s On-site Consultation web page where they instruct you to call to get on their schedule.
While visiting the OSHA website be sure to check into all of the other resources available to small business, particularly the Safety & Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP) which recognizes small businesses for their “exemplary safety and health management system.” Participants in this program have been known to reduce their Workers Compensation premiums.
If your workplace safety consultation raises any questions or concerns about your business insurance, please contact us. We want you and your business to be properly protected from loss.
Additional OSHA Resources
- Consultation on the OSHA site in Spanish – En el Sitio de Consulta En Espanol
- Compliance Assistance Quick Start – An introduction to Compliance Assistance
- OSHA Publications – Most Frequently Requested